The Problem – Ancient forests are being cut down to make fabric:
- Ancient and endangered forests are being cut down to create wood pulp which will be turned into rayon/viscose, modal and lyocell according to Canopy Style.
- This type of wood pulp production is expected to double by 2050, also according to Canopy Style.
- Although many top brands such as H&M, Zara, and Lulumon have signed the Canopy Style pledge to phase out the sourcing from ancient and endangered forests, mass producers such as Gap Inc are not on the list as of today’s publication.
- Slim pickings on solutions here.
- Check out the Canopy Style list and pick designers from there.
- Designers can sign the Canopy Style pledge.
- Buy high quality clothes that will last more than one season. That’s financially and environmentally sustainable.
- Canopy Style – Check out their site for more details.